Recipe: Date Sandwich Bars
Title: Date Sandwich Bars
Categories: Diabetic, Desserts, Cooky/bars
Yield: 18 bars
1 c Dates, snipped 3/4 c Oatmeal, uncooked
1/2 c Water 1 tb Sugartwin or Brown Sugar
1/2 ts Orange peel 1/2 ts Baking powder
1 tb Orange juice 1/4 ts Salt
1/2 ts Lemon juice 6 tb Margarine
3/4 c Flour
Have dates at room temperature. Slice thin and break up in pan.
1. Combine dates, water, peel & juices in saucepan. Blend well.
Cook over low heat stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10
2. Measure flour into large bowl. Add remaining ingredients except
margarine. Stir well to blend. Cut in margarine until particles are
the size of peas. Press with the back of a fork.
3. Spread half crumb mixture in greased 8 x 8" pan. Press down.
4. Spread cooled date filling evenly.
5. Cover with remaining crumbs, pat lightly.
6. Bake at 375F 25-30 minutes until golden.
7. Cool in pan on rack. Cut into 18 bars.
(Sugartwin version) 1 bar = 1 1/2 fruit, 1 fat, 97 cal.
from High Fiber Cookbook - a bit crumbly but delicious.