Recipe: Date and Nut Roll
Title: Date-and-Nut Roll
Yield: 1 servings
-Nancy Speicher DPXX20A
3 c Sugar
1 c Evaporated milk
3 tb Butter or margarine
3 tb Light corn syrup
1 c Dates; chopped
1 c Pecans or walnuts; chopped
1 ts Vanilla extract
6 oz Semisweet chocolate pieces
1. In heavy, 3-qt saucepan, combine sugar, milk, butter and corn
syrup. cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon,
until sugar dissolves & mixutre comes to boiling; add dates.
2. Cook, stirring occasionally, until candy thermometer registers
238F, or until a little in cold water forms a soft ball.
3. Remove from heat. Add nuts & vanilla. Beat until thick. Turn out
on board; divide in half. Shape each half into a roll 1 3/4" in
diameter; wrap in waxed paper; refrigerate at least 1 hour before
coating with chocolate.
4. In top of double boiler, melt chocolate pieces over hot, not
boiling, water. Remove from heat.
5. Remove date rolls from refrigerator; spread half of chocolate
over each roll; spreading to coat evenly all over. refrigerate until
chocolate is hard; wrap in waxed paper until ready to cut into slices
1/3" thick. Makes 2 1/4 lbs.
From McCalls Cookery No. 13